Water damage can be one of the hardest on asphalt. When moisture gets into pavement it breaks down the durability and effects the pavement performance. There are several ways that moisture damages the pavement and breaks it down.
- Cracking – Breaking apart of the asphalt from different types of elements, excessive loading, or poor drainage.
- Stripping – Debonding of aggregate and binder.
- Rutting – Surface depression from movement in the base. This often happens because of lack of compaction and weakness in the pavement.
- Bleeding – Formation of asphalt binder film on pavement from excessive sealant in the cracks or joints. Traffic can also contribute to bleeding if the asphalt because overpacked.
- Failures – Loss of adhesive between layers and cohesion in the aggregate
When cracks appear it’s important to take proper measures to prevent your pavement from deteriorating. The best way to protect your asphalt is to practice the following prevention techniques:
- Cracking filling
- Pavement repairs
- Asphalt patching
In the Northwest, we live in a climate that breaks down our pavement so it is important that we take the proper measures for prevention. If you think your asphalt needs some work request a free quote now. We’d love to see what we can do for you.